DTW wishes you all a very Happy New Year and offers you another opportunity to test out your knowledge of all things automotive. Good luck and no Googling!
The answers will be published in a day or two.
- Find the name of the influential automotive engineer contained in the anagram:
- Identify this vehicle:
- Identify the automotive designer and the name given to his best-known style in this anagram:
Mechanics ruffling algebras
- Which manufacturer, having announced a new model numbering scheme for its vehicles, had to revise the scheme after a competitor threatened legal action? Which company threatened to sue?
- What is the number of the occupied car parking space below?
- Identify this car:
- What is an Iltis and what automotive legend did it make possible?
- Which auto maker manufactured an engine nicknamed ‘pancake’ and why was it so-called?
- Wartburg promoted its 353 model, sold as the Knight in the UK, on the basis of its two-stroke engine’s mechanical simplicity. How many moving parts did the engine have and what were they?
- What was the 1980 Dacia 2000 better known as?
- The car brand which uses the strapline “Let’s go there” won’t be going anywhere from 1 January 2021. Why?
- Zany, Bomb, Apex, Zobo. Which is the odd one out?
- Which model names link the following carmakers?
Austin and Buick
Honda and Plymouth
Proton and Toyota
Ford and Hansa
- Only one road vehicle with a V8 engine option has ever been offered by Honda. What was it?
- I hear, I roll, I have spoken. Who are – or were – they?
- Which British Leyland product was launched with the advertising slogan “Anything but average”?
- In which year was the last Ford Corsair built?
- Examples of which distinguished but rare post-WW2 British luxury car were owned by Carmen Miranda, Douglas Bader, Nicholas Parsons, and Prince Philip?
- The 1957-60 Ford Taunus P2 is often cited as an example of which snobbishly ridiculed German decorative style?
- “Big cat, small dog” is a cryptic reference to which currently produced engine?
- The car brands Asüna, Beaumont, Envoy, and Passport were only sold in which country?
- Which car manufacturer used the brand strapline “Isn’t Life Brilliant” from 2017?
- What is wrong with this? (The answer is not “It’s a Fiat”.)
- Who said this of the Rover K series in early 1990: “I just hope they build them to be reliable”?
HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
Hugh Montefiore, former Anglican Bishop of Birmingham
- What design detail is shared by the Chrysler Avenger and Mercedes-Benz CLC?